• Facebook Link
  • Twitter Link
  • YouTube Link

The Queen of Procrastination = ME

Posted on: December 14th, 2011 by Sierra Hull   13 Comments

Hey friends,

It’s been a while since my last post! Sorry I’ve been so distant. It’s been a busy last few months and I am the Queen of Procrastination.

So many amazing things have happened this year and it’s that time of year where I begin to look back and reflect on my many blessings. As with any year, it’s been full of ups and down – lots of smiles and plenty of tears. There is such great joy in being able to do what you love for a living. As a result, it’s easy to be emotionally connected to it at times. Music can be the very thing that keeps me going, pushing ahead with excitement to see what lies ahead, and then it is sometimes the thing that can be the center of my fears and disappointments. I think any musician striving to get better goes through similar times. For me at my age, it’s a very confusing yet exciting time trying to discover just who I am as an artist. As frustrating as it can be sometimes, I wouldn’t have it any other way! I know it’s all part of a growing process and I’ll be thankful for times such as these in the long run. I guess the beauty of being an artist is that you are ever growing and changing. Contentment is where I never hope to find myself. Hopefully I’ll still be discovering myself as an artist my whole career! – All in all, it’s been an amazing year and I’m so thankful for all that God has blessed me with. I certainly don’t deserve it.

I’m very excited about the coming year. I’m already looking at the tour schedule as new dates are added and starting to anticipate another year of being on the road with great joy. Hopefully I will get better about blogging. (I always say that and usually don’t! :-) BUT.. I do enjoy it and I appreciate all of you who take time to read!

Hope to write again soon… :)

Sierra

13 Responses

1. Hey Sierra,

Glad everything is going well with you. My name is Matt Borrello and I’ve been a fan ever since I heard your first album while I was doing an internship at Rounder Records. You have an amazingly beautiful voice and I hope to catch you live next time you’re around Boston. Are you still enrolled at Berklee? I go to Northeastern down the road. I’d love to meet you someday.

I laughed when I read the fortune cookie because I have a song called Starting Tomorrow. Here’s a video of me singing it:

Thanks,
    Matt :)

2. Denis L. says:

Sierra, you’re time-tripping again! It says “posted on Dec. 14th 2011″ but I’m reading this on Dec. 13th. Are you 24hrs in the future? BTW, your comments are 99% right-on. The 1% that’s off is the “I certainly don’t deserve it” comment. Don’t kid yourself – you do deserve all your success. Your talent, hard work & perseverance (and disposition) have taken you here. These are the fruits of your labor. Don’t take my word for it; just ask anyone who plays with, or listens to, your music. The joy you exhibit is contagious.

3. Tom Nowak says:

First, thanks a lot for making the effort to share your thoughts, and heartfelt thoughts at that. Second, thank you for letting me point video cameras ay you in California. Some of the video is a little less than good, some is good, some is very good and some is beautiful. I was often moved by you all and always thoroughly entertained, thanks again. My best to you, and the guys. I forget your banjo player’s name but I enjoyed his high harmonies so much, and Clay, his picking and his voice, made a huge impression on me, as, of course, did you. It was my first time seeing you all. And last, we share something special; for I have been so blessed to, and also doubt my worthiness of such reward. But God tasks and He rewards, and perhaps, to do his work, we need to come to believe in his belief in us. Happy and Merry everything young lady, just a fan, Tom Nowak

4. Jim says:

Sierra,
    I think you are on this journey for a purpose. You certainly ARE blessed and God knows you DO deserve it.
    You are on a wild ride right now, and yes, I’m sure that can be tricky and at times, daunting. Hope you don’t let that stop you.
    If you get to the Del Val Bluegrass fest next year we’ll see you there!
    -Jim-

5. Roald Laurenson says:

Hi Sierra, and I hope you are feeling a lot better and on the mend from the sore throat you tweeted. Be sure to protect that voice by not using it even for talking much until it’s really back. I’m sure that’s what the doctor’s told you — important especially for a singer.

It’s a cold night out here even in California, and I am thinking over all the things you’ve been doing this year. You have a very full schedule, not to speak of time spent where we don’t see, in all preparation, practice, and composing into the future. I’m remembering that nook you showed us a picture of, where some of that likely goes on, and also of the personal things you do with others.

One thing I’ve really noted over the year is how much solidity and confidence has come into your performance. Particularly the vocalisation and delivery, and how the band works with you on all things. This is real accomplishment, to be sure, and a great thing to hear, even as we can on YouTubes. I hope you are giving yourself credit.

Music. Well, yes. As your professors seem to have mentioned in interviews, music has size to grow with, and through all your life. I sense often in your comments that your talent is getting your attention particularly at times, in ways that it can, and want to say something a little general about this.

You know, it’s the people who have the most ability, in any work of life, who have the deepest questions. That’s natural, if you think about it. This kind of awareness is where the ideas and the practices are seeded, have their beginnings which build towards fruitfulness. Each matter and potential takes its own time — and that means the time to explore, to work, to develop. You have to allow for that, maybe you already know.

You are indeed very young, and yet also I think rather stalwart. Everyone appreciates this of you, and that you’ll need to find your own ways to balance the work and works. You wanted this year of performing, and you’ve had it; also getting a place for yourself in relation to the Nashville groove.

You are continuing though to be Sierra: that person who built for example the ability for those precise arpeggiated cascades, cross-picked, and then constructed it into a unique musical ground, quite subtle and yet formidable, for playing Secrets. This caught my ear in an instant, and then much later came to be heard in full understanding. It is just an example, but I think a good one, of the deep work you do and can do.

Maybe the best thing to say to you, Sierra, is that those people with such abilities are also the persons with the greatest distance to learn. This is where you can build awareness, and patience, and the knowledges of how to move forward. I understand the tension with ‘schools’ — and you have from this a fine beginning foundation in artists and artful teachers who will work with you, in your way. An artistic way, which is as old in practices as any culture in the world.

If you can take knowing with some confidence that this pattern is what artists engage with, as the saying says that ‘art is long’, then I think you can find yourself ever supported in the rhythms of it, the self confidence and self support as well as with others, that such journeyers find to have.

The world has many things, and they are there for you to find as you want to be open to them, in a journey which builds as you learn how you personally do this, how you discover the relationships and the meshes, and what their respect brings.

Let me stop here, because it’s late. Do know, Sierra, how much what you do is appreciated. Your art excites by showing itself, and that is part of things that you know. But it also satisfies, lets other persons feel and know things better, that they can. That’s a particular gift, and I suspect it comes from doing just as you sense best, and best enjoy. At your own pace, surely.

Very nice greetings of the season to you, and your friends and family.

Roald

6. Roald Laurenson/narrconsider/narrml says:

p.s. meant to say — I am sure we all appreciate what you write, when you feel moments to do it, on this weblog — it’s a lot of fun to hear your stories that you’ve had a chance to think out. But you are very generous with your tweeting, Sierra, also, and that’s maybe a muchc easier and better way much of the time, without the feeling of obligation. You are talking with your friends, and the stories come out. Best again.

7. Mike Kear says:

G’day from Australia, Sierra. I’m glad you can admit to being a procrastinator. I’m asked by my Board to find a patron for the Procrastinator’s League of Oceania, based here in Sydney. We’d like to invite you to be our patron, and if you agree, we’ll make the appointment at our 1976 Annual General Meeting, which will be held next month. Or the following month.

We think.

If we get around to it.

8. Jeff says:

Hi Sierra,

I had exactly the same reaction as Dennis to your comment of “I certainly don’t deserve it.”. While I don’t know you personally, everything that I know about you contradicts that statement. After one of your shows last year, I spoke to Ron about his work with you on Secrets. I told him that I thought it was wonderful of him to have helped you produce that album. His comment to me was that “she works so hard at her music and is such a grounded and good person, how could I not have helped her”. Ron meant that and I believe him. You are blessed in your talent but it is also all your hard work that transforms that talent into the beautiful gift that is your music. I hope that you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!

Jeff

9. clare quinn says:

Sierra …Hi …I love reading all your blogs ..so thanks for all those interesting stories throughout the year …I think you are a truly amazing singer and musician ..I have your CDs and they totally inspire me …I am only 12 yrs old .and I sing in my church choir …and one day I hope if I work hard and practise alot I can be like you …Happy Christmas and have a great New Year

10. rws says:

Don’t forget to come back to the UK again soon!!

11. Ken says:

You are definitely growing as both a musician and artist. “Daybreak” is clear evidence of that, as is your recording of “Someone Like You.” Your version of “Someone Like You” shows a wide range of emotions, the kind that someone in that situation would really experience–your performance portrays all the ambivalent feelings surrounding the loss of a love, which is what makes it so moving. It also shows that when it comes time to really belt out the chorus of a song, you know how to that!! Best wishes for continued success.

12. Erdmann Timm says:

Hi Sierra,

i found you in the web as i heard the song “Leavin’ Cottondale” from alison brown. I send a great compliment for your mandolin playing.

And leater i´ve heard your song “the land of living” and i enjoy it very much.Are you a christian?

Lovely greatings from Berlin-GERMANY
    Erdmann Timm

13. John Sereno says:

Hi Sierra,

My wife and I really enjoyed you and the band in Kenbridge, VA this past weekend (March 31, 2012) and are now raving fans. We so appreciated your energy and good humor despite your feeling so poorly. Get well soon and keep up the good work! Oh, and come back soon… John & Angela Sereno – Amelia, VA